Chairman, Japan Petrochemical Industry Association
On behalf of the Japan Petrochemical Industry Association, we sincerely welcome your participation in the 38th Asia Petrochemical Industry Conference to be held in Sapporo from 18 to 19 May 2017. The conference theme for 2017 is "The Promise of Carbon Chemistry: Pathway to a Sustainable Future.”
The Asian petrochemical industry is facing dramatic changes such as the inflow of cheap products derived from North American shale gas, Chinese coal chemistry and Middle Eastern ethane, and a trend of major corporate restructuring. We need to respond to these changes for the sustainable growth of our companies.
On the other hand, there is also a big movement from the perspective of the sustainability of the entire world and humanity.
1) September 2015: United Nations adopted "2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development"
2) November 2016: United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change "Paris Agreement" came into effect
To accomplish these, innovation of our petrochemical industry is indispensable.
For example, the following can be considered.
1) Establishment of Smart Complex: Contribution to the environment through energy saving, resource saving and high efficiency production
2) Development and dissemination of energy saving products (weight reduction of automobiles, etc.): Reduction of CO2 emissions
3) Extension of highly functional plastic packaging: Contribution to reduced food loss by lengthening food preservation period.
From the viewpoint of solving global problems, we expand the traditional framework of "petrochemical" and incorporate the viewpoint of "carbon chemistry." We would like to think together with you not only about the development of the petrochemical industry but also what we should do to win a sustainable future in harmony with humanity, society and environment. We look forward to seeing you in Sapporo in May 2017.